Today's projects involving the natural and built environment require the collection, organization, visualisation, and analysis of large amounts of data from diverse sources.
Geosyntec specializes in developing systems to bring order to the data, allowing site conditions to be documented in their entirety. This methodology provides technical context for the conditions observed, and thus creates a forum for decision makers, regulators, interested stakeholders, and the general public to come to a common understanding of complex site conditions.
Practice Specialties in Data Management, Visualisation, and Analysis
Geosyntec provides data management, analysis, and visualisation services for a broad range of project applications including the following:
- Environmental site assessment and remediation
- Stormwater management
- Risk assessment
- Waste disposal
- Construction quality control
- Disaster loss estimation
- Litigation support
Many of our specialists in data management and analysis are also subject matter experts in scientific and engineering disciplines who routinely work with the technical issues confronting project proponents. We have found that data management work products developed by professionals with expertise in environmental science and engineering, including geotechnical instrumentation, vapor intrusion, groundwater flow and contaminant fate/transport modeling, produce defensible analyses that are valued by our clients as they bring a practitioner's understanding of the overall project objectives. The combination of project implementation experience with our data management technology expertise allows our team to craft a cost-effective, quality data management solution for the full life of the project.
Our data management professionals specialize in application development, data visualisation, and statistical analyses using a range of technologies including the following:
- Desktop and enterprise relational database design and management;
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for analyzing geospatial data; and
- 2-, 3-, and 4-dimensional data modeling and visualisation software.
We apply these technologies as projects move through the following stages of data collection and use:
- Tailored electronic field data collection protocols which allow efficient data entry, data transmission, and real-time data quality control (prompt data availability and reduced transcription errors);
- Custom database verification and assembly routines to automatically screen and normalize data into relational databases while ensuring data quality (early analysis opportunities using verified data);
- Database systems accessible via the internet or through other electronic file sharing protocols (remote team members can work with data in an efficient and portable format); and
Maps, figures, animations, and interactive user applications (communicate the data's story in an effective manner).
Advancing the State of the Practice in Data Management, Visualisation, and Analysis
Our team of database management specialists continuously works with specialists in other disciplines to develop new applications that provide our clients with greater insight into the data they own. Our interdisciplinary approach allows site owners with soil and groundwater remediation issues, attorneys with extensive document review requirements, and contractors with rigid quality reporting obligations to optimize the value of geocoded data. We provide training and leadership participation to our clients and the industry at large through seminars and short courses. Our specialists have authored technical papers illustrating the integration of data management technology with scientific and engineering applications. Our staff routinely present case studies at technical conferences and industry meetings. Geosyntec developed the Tracker family of construction data management tools, including WallTracker and GroutTracker. These tools have been successfully deployed to support infrastructure improvement projects in North America including the Herbert Hoover Dike Rehabilitation and Wolf Creek Dam Repair.